So back with the “New 52” relaunch, DC Comics announced that all their print books would be available on the same day as a digital comics as well. Unfortunately, in their fear of a backlash from comic book shops, they decided to price the digital books the same as the print ones. And let’s be honest, for an entire generation used to the 99 cent price point for songs and other digital works, $2.99 is just not going to prove all that popular.
Their next step was to debut some books in the digital format first, to be followed by the print version (Batman Beyond, etc.)
Well now DC is taking the next step in their digital comics initiative by introducing brand new Batman material in digital format for just 99 cents. Titled Legends of the Dark Knight, the stories take place outside the regular series continuity, and feature an impressive list of well-known creators:
Kicking off the first chapter is the all-star line-up of LOST scribe Damon Lindelof with artwork by the critically acclaimed Jeff Lemire. The line-up for the first six chapters of LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT is as follows:
- June 7 – “The Butler Did It” written by Damon Lindelof with artwork by Jeff Lemire
- June 14 – “All of the Above” written by Jonathan Larsen with artwork by JG Jones
- June 21– “The Crime Never Committed” written by Tom Taylor with artwork by Nicola Scott and Wayne Faucher
- June 28 – “Crisis of Identity” Part 1 written by B. Clay Moore with artwork by Ben Templesmith
- July 5 – “Crisis of Identity” Part 2 written by B. Clay Moore with artwork by Ben Templesmith
- July 12 – “Crisis of Identity” Part 3 written by B. Clay Moore with artwork by Ben Templesmith
I’d call that a good start.